When you conduct a search, and then click through a state, county, or 'not recorded' link (with a corresponding record number less than 1,000), your search results are a list of matching records. You can:
- Click any link in the Last Name column to display the corresponding record image.
- Click any of the results column headers to sort your results on that header. For example, State or Age. Click the header a second time to reverse the sort order. For example, clicking the Age header sorts your results from youngest age to oldest. Clicking the Age header a second time sorts your results from oldest age to youngest.
Searching Slave and Free(d) Persons of Color Registers will require you to drill down at least to the state or county level to display a listing of matching records. Things to know include:
- Click the Registers link in the header to return a list of matching records if the total number is shown as less than 1,000. If the number is greater than 1,000, you will have to refine your search.
- Click a state name to display a list of matching records when the total number is shown as less than 1,000. If the number is greater than 1,000, you will have to refine your search.
- Click the Expand by County link corresponding to a State to show the number of matching records by county. Click a county name (or Not Recorded if available), to display a list of matching records, if under 1,000. If the number is greater than 1,000, you will have to refine your search.
You can also:
- Click the Refine Search button in the left sidebar to return to the search form and modify (refine) your search.
- Click the Go to Main Search link in the left sidebar to create a new search.
- Select the checkbox in the first column to add the corresponding item to My Notebook.
If your search returned no results:
- Check your spelling.
- Select Soundex from the Last Name Spelling drop-down, to broaden your search.
- Broaden your search by removing a first name for example.