Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- Given name and Surname are separate fields.
- Boolean operators are not supported.
- Truncation and wildcard symbols are supported in the Given Name and Surname fields.
1. Search Surname: Armstrong, App Year: ALL, Branch Location: MS (Mississippi)-Natchez. This will yield results for Jane and Louis Armstrong. Click on either last name to view the record for Mr. Armstrong (both names on the record have been indexed). See Serial Set search #3 for more information about Mr. Armstrong.
2. Search Surname: Collins, Given Name: Lizzie, App. Year: 1865, Branch: KY (Kentucky)-Louisville. Miss Collins is not married, but claims to have a beau that she will marry soon, not to mention that she discloses that she had been serving as a spy of one of the local military regiments.
About the Freedman's Bank Collection
The Freedman's Bank collection is a key resource for African American genealogical research as well as Reconstruction Era historical research.
- Personal data on over 100,000 depositor accounts
- Names for over 489,000 individuals
- Covers extant (i.e., surviving) account registers for the Freedman's Savings & Trust Company 1865-1874
- Includes original image plus text transcript
- Soundex® surname search option
- More information can be found in the Help section