Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Did you know...?
There were more than 480,000 free blacks living in the United States and territories at the time of the 1860 Census?
Explore the 1860 U.S. Federal Census in the ProQuest African American Heritage database to learn more!
What is ProQuest African American Heritage?
ProQuest® African American Heritage is a groundbreaking digital resource exclusively devoted to African American family history research.
It provides users a dedicated resource that not only brings together records critical to African American family research; but also connects them to a community of research experts, whose mentoring and assistance can frequently be the difference between research success and futility.
Highlights of the database include:
- A user-friendly interface that combines the best elements of our award-winning HeritageQuest® Online database with new, enhanced navigation. and tools
- Primary sources devoted specifically to African American family history, including census records, vital records, free(d) and slave records, church records, legal records, and more.
- The newest primary source collections include North Carolina and West Virginia marriage records, North Carolina cohabitation records, and the U.S. Colored Troops Records, 1861-1865.
- Exclusive access to an updated, online edition of Black Genesis—an exhaustive guide that makes locating resources pertaining to slaves and free blacks easier.
- Exclusive partnership with AfriGeneas—recognized as a leading social networking site devoted to African American genealogy—that provides direct access to expert advice, moderated forums, chats, mailing lists, surname registry, and more.
Live Webinars & Recordings
View our schedule below to locate a session. Can't find what you are looking for or want to request an online or on-site session? Please email us at email@example.com.