Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- Electrical engineering and electronics
- Computers and control
- Information technology for business
- Mechanical and production engineering
- Book Chapters
- Books and Monographs
- Conferences, Symposia, Meetings
- Journal Articles
- Theses and Dissertations
To view the latest title list and publication coverage, please visit:
What is Inspec®?
Inspec®, a bibliographic database, comprises abstracts and specialized indexing of the world's quality research literature in the fields of physics and engineering from journals and serials, conference papers and proceedings, books and book chapters, and technical reports.
Some standards, dissertations and a small number of UK and US patents (published between 1968 and 1976) are included. All abstracts are in English; author-prepared abstracts are used when available.
The database is produced by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET).
Inspec® covers five main subjects, organized by Subfile:
- A – Physics: elementary particles and fields, atomic, molecular and nuclear physics, phenomenology, fluids, plasmas and electric discharges, condensed matter: structure, thermal and mechanical properties, electronic structure: electrical, magnetic, and optical properties, cross-disciplinary physics and related areas, geophysics, astronomy and astrophysics.
- B – Electrical engineering and electronics: engineering mathematics, materials science, circuits and circuit theory, components, electron, magnetic and superconducting devices and materials, optical materials and applications, electro-optics and optoelectronics, electromagnetic fields, communications, instrumentation, power systems and applications.
- C – Computers and control: management topics, systems and control theory and technology, numerical analysis and theoretical computer topics, computer hardware, software and applications.
- D – Information technology for business: management aspects, applications, systems and equipment, and office automation for communications and computing.
- E – Mechanical and production engineering: general topics in manufacturing and production engineering, manufacturing and production, engineering mechanics, and industrial sectors.
Inspec provides comprehensive coverage of quality and peer-reviewed publications in the fields of physics, electrical & electronic engineering, communications, computer science, control engineering and information technology. The current list contains over 4000 journals, conference proceedings from publishers such as AIP, IEEE and Springer and dissertations from Proquest.
The list is regularly reviewed to ensure that new titles are captured once they are established. Data analysis on usage statistics is carried out frequently so that the most popular content areas can be given priority in production.